CST 334 - Operating Systems - Week 1

 



This week was the introduction to the operating system class, and the first thing that I learned was an introduction to Linux. Prior to this class, I thought I had to use a virtual machine in order to use Linux. I did not know that I could run a Linux environment directly on my Windows operating system. I think this class is going to be challenging but rewarding at the same time because, based on the introductory videos, we are going to be learning a lot about Linux. What I have learned so far is that the operating system is the layer between the hardware and the user. Operating systems act as a layer of abstraction between all the components in the computer and the applications that are being run on the computer, such as word processors, spreadsheets, etc.

I also learned about Docker. I did not have any knowledge of this software prior to this class. Now I know the difference between a Docker image and a container. A Docker image is a lightweight, standalone, and executable package that includes everything needed to run a piece of software. A Docker container is a runnable instance of a Docker image. I now understand that using Docker provides many benefits, such as efficient use of resources, simplified configuration and deployment, improved security, and more. It is particularly valuable for modern development practices, such as DevOps and microservices architectures, enabling teams to build, ship, and run applications more efficiently and reliably.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 1

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 2

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 4