CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 7

Week 7 - Learning Journal Post


Part I

We are currently focusing on completing the final research video project for this class. Initially, we had to prioritize finishing a significant ethics essay paper, which took up a lot of our time. However, we are making progress on the video project, which is about augmented reality. Our task involves creating two videos: one directed towards a professional audience and the other one towards kids. To collaborate effectively, we have been using Discord and Google Drive for communication and sharing documents. Planning the project has been challenging, especially as my classmates and I work full-time jobs. Finding time to work together has been tough. I believe time management will continue to be a common challenge for teams, regardless of the project. Despite these challenges, I am confident we are headed in the right direction, and I hope to have a successful research video project by the end of the week.


Part II

This week, I watched several TED.com presentations that taught me valuable lessons. One video, "How to manage your time more effectively (according to machines)," showed me the importance of not overthinking tasks and just getting things done efficiently. Another video, "The greatest machine that never was," intrigued me with its story of a mechanical computer designed in 1830. Additionally, I watched "Life after death by PowerPoint," which humorously highlighted common mistakes to avoid in presentations. Exploring the Toastmasters website, I learned about the effectiveness of visual aids and props like diagrams, graphs, and photographs in enhancing presentations. These readings and videos have provided me with insights that I will apply to improve my presentation skills and time management abilities.


Module 10 - Collaboration (by OLI)

In this week's learning activity, we got to put our conflict communication skills to the test through a role play game with our project team. The scenario involved a last minute realization that we had not started development on our planned digital game for the upcoming Carnival. Each team member was assigned a role, and we had to work together to come up with a plan to salvage the situation. We focused on recognizing escalating conflicts, actively listening to each other, and delivering well-formed assertion messages. Points were awarded based on our ability to identify conflicts, listen actively, use appropriate assertion messages, and reach consensus on a plan. It was a challenging but rewarding experience that allowed us to practice our skills in a simulated real life scenario. Besides this activity, we also learned more about how to manage our conversational skills between our group members. I know that sometimes we might get too overwhelmed with the assignments and deadlines and we might end up fighting between each other. I know that the best action that we can take is to avoid fighting and find solutions to our problems. I'm looking forward to applying what I have learned to our future team projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 1

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 2

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 4