CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 3

 Module 3 - Collaboration (by OLI)

This week in OLI, we learned more about making good teams, different types of personalities and different type of conflicts in a team. We took two tests: one to find out what type of personality we have and the other to determine our preferred conflict style. There are four types of personalities in a team: 'Get it Right,' 'Get it Done,' 'Get Along,' and 'Get Appreciation.' I think I'm more of a 'Get it Right' person because I used to procrastinate a lot, but I changed that two years ago and now I always try my best in everything, whether it's school, work, or personal goals. Also, I found out I have two conflict styles: Avoiding and Compromising. That makes sense because I don't like conflicts, and I'd rather find solutions for the team. Sometimes I like to compromise some of my goals to achieve other goals.

Week 3 - Learning Journal Post

Part 1: One area where I need improvement is in writing research papers. Since I was born and raised in a non-English speaking country, I find it challenging to compose lengthy essays. While I often have good ideas about the essay topic, expressing them clearly to the audience remains a struggle. Following advice from AcademicTips.org, I plan to adopt a strategy for my next essay, which includes starting early, crafting a strong thesis statement, taking thorough notes, creating an outline, and producing a rough draft.

Part 2: The lesson I took from this week's reading is the importance of always doing the right thing. For instance, Edward Snowden realized from the beginning of his government work that their actions were not ethical. Spying on citizens is not morally right, and he chose to expose the government. While I believe he did the right thing, others view him as a US traitor. It ultimately depends on each individual's perspective.

Part 3: The author emphasizes the significance of a portfolio for computer science students in this document. He says that simply having a 4.0 GPA in your resume will not convince employers to hire you. Effective communication skills, including the ability to make presentations, are crucial. Many computer science graduates struggle with communicating with their colleagues and supervisors, impeding their career progression. Additionally, proficiency in multiple programming languages, strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms, and an understanding of machine learning and AI are identified as valuable assets for future success as a computer scientist.

Part 4: The code of integrity document talks about the issue of plagiarism, particularly in the context of copying code. While seeking hints and assistance from teacher assistants, faculty, and classmates is encouraged, directly copying code is discouraged. It's essential not to submit solutions that are not our own and refrain from sharing our solutions with others. Furthermore, if any assistance was received in developing the code, it should be clearly acknowledged in our work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 1

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 2

CST 300 - Major ProSeminar - Week 4